Monday, January 24, 2011

Tiny Random Acts of Kindness

Dropping the kids off at school every morning is kind of like Groundhog Day the movie. It's the same thing every morning : running late, scurrying out of the car, quick goodbyes and if I'm lucky- a peck on the cheek! Usually Grant and Luke tell me they will give me "double kisses" at home.  Well, last week the weather was frigid! My car registered 0 degrees and I guarantee it was colder than that. As we pulled up to school, I noticed a little boy with a bright, cherry red nose and was bundled up. I thought, "who in their right mind would make their child to walk to school in this freezing weather." I even made a comment to the kids about it and had I come up on the little boy sooner, I would have offered him a ride to school. I also noticed a couple of 4th graders trying to get the flag raised. They looked frozen as they did it!!! Grant immediately jumped out and realized they were having a hard time. He went over and asked them if they needed help but at the same time another 4th grader came out and helped. As Grant turned to walk down the sidewalk to school, he noticed the little boy who had walked. He went over and said something to him. I could see Grant motioning to him which way to go. Then as they got to some steps, Grant reached back and grabbed his coat. He helped him down the steps, ran and opened the door and held it open for the younger kids going in before he allowed himself to go in. Why is this a random act of kindness? Because as I mentioned earlier, it was FRIGID outside and most kids jumped out of their warm cars and sprinted inside! Not Grant (and Luke), they made sure the little boy made it in safely and also tried to help the kids with the flag.  I sat in my van just watching with a few tears of amazement for my boys who can be so kind and caring.
Later when I was telling Grant just how proud I was of him, he told me, "Mom, the little boy was wearing glasses and they were all fogged up. He was having a terrible time seeing. So I just helped him." Just like it was no big deal!
Lesson learned in my book, do something nice for someone EVERYDAY! Just like a habit! Enjoy your day!


No comments:

Post a Comment