Oops! This should have posted on March 6th!
Eight years ago we had our first baby boy, Grant Joseph. Wow! What an amazing little boy! Each year I grow to love him more and more. It's crazy how that happens. There are so many things I love about this kid! He is kind and caring towards others; his smile can brighten a room like you wouldn't believe; his eyes are the window to his happy soul; he loves life and loves being with others. He truly warms my heart every time I see him walk in a room. What a joyful little boy and to think that God chose me to raise him is an amazing honor.
There was an incident on his birthday this year that sums up who this kid is. Grant plays Upward basketball and has his games on Saturdays. He was to play at 8am on his birthday. The night before, he walked into our bedroom and asked Dan, "Daddy, since it's my birthday tomorrow, can you PLEASE come to my game?" Dan has made most of his games but he does have to work on some Saturdays. Dan replied, " Well buddy, I do have to go to work but I will try to have all of it done so I can come and see part of your game." That was fine with Grant. Just to know that his daddy might come and watch him was settling. The next morning we were all up early and ready to go. Dan was up and gone by 5 am and we were set to leave the house at 7:30 am. The phone rang. I looked at the caller id and my heart sank. It was Dan's cell number. I answered, "Hello." Dan said, "Tell Grant that I won't be able to make it to his game because Frank slid down a bank into a ravine. We have to get a tractor to pull him out. Please tell him I am sorry." I hung up the phone and turned to Grant. "Grant, Daddy can't make it to your game today because Frank slid his rig into a ravine and they have to go pull him out. He is so sorry. It's ok though, I'll be watching and so will your brothers." At this point, I thought Grant would be absolutely heartbroken (and he was) but instead of showing it he asked, " Momma, is Mr. Frank okay?" He didn't throw a fit. He didn't cry. He didn't shout "that's not fair." Nothing- he just wanted to make sure that Frank was ok and hadn't gotten injured. Really? I can't imagine that all 8 year olds respond this way. This is just Grant. He is always thinking of others and so thoughtful and caring. I continue to learn so much from him!! And not to mention how extremely blessed I am to have him in my life! We ended up going to his game and during the 2nd quarter, Dan walked in!!! Grant didn't seem him at first but when he did, he flashed that famous, toothless grin and got down to business on the court!! We love you, Grant! More than you will ever know!! Happy Birthday!




No comments:
Post a Comment