Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Mayfly Friend

This blog will not be nearly as funny as when I watched it play out but I will give it my best shot! When we arrived home from running some errands today I asked Grant to go out and check Nugget's water dish outside on the deck. As he came back in, there was this look on his face. He was saying, " I can't go back out there because there is a big yellow bug out there!" I didn't realize that "out there" was right on the door. Luke, being the brave soul that he is, said in his brave, husky voice, " Let me see where it is." So he and Grant went out and there it was. A bright yellow mayfly on the inside of the door jam outside. If I opened the door to shoo it out then I ran the risk of having it fly inside. The kids would have gone crazy if that happened. (I do not have bug lovers but they are curious about them.) I told Grant from inside to just touch it and it would fly off. He looked at me like I was crazy and rapidly shook his head no. Remember this- the whole time Grant and Luke were outside and Wes and I were inside. After trying to convince them to touch it and realizing that wasn't going to happen, I told Grant to go find a stick to touch it with. He ran down, found a "stick" and came back. The stick was barely an inch long! He immediately handed it to Luke and said, " Here! Touch it with this!" Obviously there was no way Grant was going to do it! As Luke attempted to touch the poor mayfly, Nugget came up by Grant and happened to sniff his arm. You should have seen Grant jump! I was losing it at this point! Tears were streaming down my face and it gets better because when Grant jumped back from Nugget, his arm barely touched the back of the chair. He started swatting his arm and jumping at that! The "stick" didn't work as neither boy was brave enough to do it! They finally ended up with a long flower stem and swatting it away from the door. Needless to say, the poor mayfly did not survive because Luke finally stepped on it (after it was far away from the door!). My cheeks hurt so bad from laughing at these two boys trying to shoo away this little mayfly!! Who knew it could be so funny? It's all the little moments like these that make being a mom so incredible! You really do find joy in the little things in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment