Monday, May 4, 2009

Seizures

As most of you following this blog know, our little Luke has a low seizure threshold. Yes, the technical term is epilepsy or seizure disorder. There is no reason why some people have seizures and some do not. Some people have seizures and they never break through. Some have seizures and don't even realize it. Luke was diagnosed at two months old and placed on medication. Without making this a novel, he is no longer on meds and is doing fantastic! We still have some seizures about every 3-4 months. If his seizures ever change, we will have to re-evaluate our situation.
Why am I blogging about this? I recently realized maybe why we have had to go through all this. A good friend of mine ended up with her little guy (age 3) at the ER due to what they believed was a seizure. Then, after suffering from another one, he was admitted for observation. When I got the phone call from a mutual friend, I wasn't sure what to do. Do I reach out to them or wait for them to ask for help? I decided to go to the hospital and do whatever I could
to help. I had tried to find someone to watch the kids but everyone seemed busy. After a quick stop at Walmart, we made it to the hospital. As we were walking through the corridors, I met up with my friend. As our eyes met, I saw myself all over again. The uncertainty of what was going to happen, test results lingering and just frightened about the whole situation. As I was chatting with her, I heard my name called. I turned around and there was my babysitter. She volunteers at the hospital and just happened to be there at the same time (totally a God thing!). What a blessing! I was able to chat with my friend and let her know that I was there for her if she ever needed anything. I was flooding with emotions but trying to keep them under control at the same time. It was if I was standing next to Luke's bedside wondering what I had done to cause this, what will this do to him, will he outgrow it, and how on earth will I ever be able to handle this? I walked away that day hoping that I had in some way helped my friend and her family. I realized that maybe, just maybe that is why God had this plan for us. So we could go through it and help others who are going through it. Isn't that why we were put on this earth? To help others in need? I am so happy to report that both Luke and my friend's kiddo are doing great! Both are as healthy as can be and have absolutely no limitations!! Praise the Lord!!!
Thought for the day:
Think about the roadblocks that are in your life and how you have dealt with them. Then reach out to someone else in the same situation. It's amazing the feeling you will receive. Love to all!

2 comments:

  1. That is so absolutely true! I had a very familiar situation this winter. It involved realizing and acknowledging in myself that I have some issues with OCD and how to handle those....low and behold my new friend's little boy had just recently been diagnosed with the same thing! God knew what he was doing when he put us together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that you are making me a bit nervous about our summer visit! I am the farthest thing from OCD and more on the clutterbug side! It might drive you mad!!! You might find yourself decluttering my house!!! :) I'll take all the help I can get!!!! The Lord knows I need it!!! Can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete